Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Alllllllrighty Then

1994 was an excellent year for movies. Lion King, Forrest Gump, Speed, Airheads, Reality Bites.. all of those ruled. However, something very magical happened: the triad of Jim Carrey awesomeness that started with Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, continued with The Mask and concluded with Dumb and Dumber. 

The character of Ace Ventura is how I always think of Jim Carrey (close second would be Fire Marshall Bill). In recent years I have to admit I find it harder to recognize him in movies because I'm just expecting him to bust out with an "Allllllrighty then!", and when he doesn't, I just feel sad.



Some of The Mask's phrases were "Sssssmokin'!" and "Somebody stop me!" This film really started to give us a feel for the Jim Carrey flair of over-emphasizing back then, which inspired a local car dealer in my viewing area to produce a terrible commercial. As you can imagine, they advertised their sales as ssssssmokin' and ssssssizzlin'. At 11 years old, even I realized that was lame. And this just makes me giggle:



Dumb and Dumber is an all-time fave of mine. I am way thrilled that there's going to be a sequel (Dumb and Dumber To). Fingers crossed for a good script!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leaving a comment? Schwing!