Sunday, June 8, 2014

Random 90s Movie Review #9: I Love You, I Love You Not

June's movie reviews will have a theme: chick flicks. With that being said, this is going to be a tough month for me to get through. If you feel the same, my apologies, but we can suffer through it for the sake of remembering the 90s!

So to kick things off, our first review of the month is I Love You, I Love You Not from 1996.


Its tagline is "An Unforgettable Journey of Discovery", but the odds are not in its favor that I'll remember even watching this one a year from now. The only reason I had it queued up to watch was because it stars Claire Danes, Jude Law and James Van Der Beek.

Basically what happens is that Claire Danes plays Daisy, a current-day prep school student, as well as Daisy's grandmother in flashback scenes of Nazi Germany. Daisy is Jewish, which causes her to be victimized by pranks at school; she's also super into reading, wants to live with her grandmother and falls in love with Jude Law's character, who turns out to be a huge jerk and dumps her out of peer pressure.

The film was based on a play and it ended up still being staged like one, with awkward dialogue and scenes that just don't work. If you want to watch better movies about this subject/time period, try The Book Thief.

Why you should watch this movie: Just for the last two or three minutes before the credits start. Seriously the worst movie ending I've ever seen!

Why you shouldn't watch this movie: You'd rather not experience the uncomfortableness of watching Claire Danes make out with a mirror.

I Heart the Nineties rating: Zero snaps.. this should have been way better than it was. Maybe the play was good?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leaving a comment? Schwing!