Saturday, June 28, 2014

Random 90s Movie Review #12: How Stella Got Her Groove Back

Wrapping up June's chick flick movies with this:



A few months ago I read this book along with with Waiting to Exhale and Getting to Happy. Naturally, I spent the entire two hours of this movie comparing it to the book and wondering, "Why?? Why did they do that?" During the times when I was able to put those thoughts aside and just enjoy the movie for what it is, I found it to be decent enough. Although watching it today is kinda sad, when you think about how this was based on real events in Terry McMillan's life that didn't turn out so great (you know, like marrying a younger man you met in Jamaica that later came out of the closet and caused you to go through a terrible divorce..). But if you want to spend a nostalgic evening with your gal pals eating cheesecake and watching movies, I'd say put this on the list.

Why you should watch this movie: You like Taye Diggs shower scenes

Why you shouldn't watch this movie: You're devoted to the book and can't handle a different adaption of the story

I Heart the Nineties rating: One snap up

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leaving a comment? Schwing!